1. Preheat your oven to 225C and place the chicken in a roasting pan. You can line the pan with baking paper for easier clean up.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a small sauce pan over low heat until the oil melts. Using a pastry brush generously brush the coconut oil all over the chicken and also place a little inside. Reserve any extra coconut oil for basting during roasting.
3. Generously sprinkle salt and pepper over the chicken and place a few sprigs of sage, lemon quarters and garlic cloves inside the chicken.
4. Place the chicken in the oven and roast at 225C for 25 – 30 minutes then reduce the heat to 180C and continue roasting for approx. 1 hour or until chicken is fully cooked and the juices run clear when pierced with a skewer. Baste 2 – 3 times while roasting. You may need to cover the chicken with baking paper if it starts browning too quickly.
5. Remove chicken from the oven when it’s done, cover with baking paper and let your chicken rest (sit) for 5 – 10 minutes to help the juice remain inside before cutting and serving. Meanwhile make the gravy.
Chicken Bone Broth Gravy
1. Pour the extra juices from roasted chicken and chicken broth into a sauce pan and place on medium high heat and bring to a boil.
2. Whisk the flour into the sauce pan and add salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and continue stirring until the gravy thickens approx. 3 – 5 minutes. If the gravy becomes too thick just add a little more bone broth and continue stirring. Check for seasoning and add a little more salt and pepper if needed.